Quartier Schützenstraße is a building ensemble in Berlin’s Mitte district. It's characterized by colorful, decorative facades that bring a bit of creativity and fun to an otherwise dreary neighborhood. Designed by the Italian architect Aldo Rossi, the ensemble was completed in 1998.
The Berliner Verbindungsbahn (the Berlin Connector Train) was built to connect 5 large train stations around the city. These train stations were built as so-called Kopfbahnhöfe, or Terminus Stations, meaning that trains rode in and out on the same track, and didn’t come in one end and out the other. This meant that it was super difficult to get from one train station to the other. The Berliner Verbindungsbahn was a street-level rail system that connected each of the 5 main stations. It was taken out of service with the completion of the Berliner Ringbahn, which is still in service today.
The Berliner Schloss (Berlin Palace) is a showpiece building at the center of Berlin. It was a Prussian royal residence for hundreds of years before being transformed for a few decades into the imperial residence during the German Empire. Erased from the map for 30 years after the Second World War, the Palace was the site of a DDR monolith in the 1970s and 1980s. The Berliner Schloss is enjoying yet another rebirth, this time as a museum honoring Berlin’s many connections to the world outside of Germany and Europe.
Berlin has a lot of Markthallen - Market Halls. Like many other substantial changes to Berlin’s urban infrastructure (including the Central Slaughterhouse in the last third of the 19th century, the construction of market halls was undertaken to address the needs of a quickly growing city. Quite simply, there weren’t enough indoor, hygienic places for people to buy groceries and other food supplies.
Berlin’s Central Livestock- and Slaughterhouse - the Zentralvieh- und Schlachthof - was the largest of its kind in the city. It was originally conceived at the end of the 19th century as a remedy to the chaotic situation in Berlin’s livestock and slaughterhouse industry. In the 1870s, there were as many as 800 independent slaughterhouses in the city.
In 1933, Hermann Tietz & Co., one of the largest department store firms in Germany, was forcibly expropriated from its Jewish owners as part of the Nazi policy of Aryanization. It was renamed Hertie, and remained one of Germany's largest retailers until it was purchased in 1994. The heirs of Georg Karg, who took over the firm from its rightful owners in 1933, set up a foundation in his honor shortly after his death.